The screen is alive!
What a fun Saturday (given the standard of entertainment in Reading)
At the moment I’m just setting the text as gibberish, hence standards: low, that doesn’t actually mean the standards are low. Each string has to be mapped to the screen to stop it overlapping or running over. At this time it wasn’t even connected to the server. That is where I will place the server information though so it’s a good place to put it now. I don’t think I’ll put the burgervan tadpole information anywhere because there is no burgervan tadpole. Although, maybe there is?
Please put a severe Government health warning on any use of Strings on the Arduino main reference pages, or remove Strings completely from the reference - there must be hundreds of people being sucked into using them by advertising Strings there.
Of which I am one. I completed coding a massive portion of this new project just over a week ago and I was set for the downhill glide into coffee heaven.
While testing the code I find the memory clogs up after between an hour and five hours of receiving and interpreting information from the twitter web server. All demo sketches on this subject supplied with the libraries used Strings to handle the bulk of the work. With this and the lack of warning supplied, I now find myself rebuilding sections of code with language not even documented on the Arduino Reference page. If you have not encountered this project or maybe you’re not sure why you’re arduino crashes after a few hours… There is a bug and here is as much documentation as I can offer you, including some commands not displayed on the reference page to help you work around it.
^The lack of warning
^The recent thread explaining it
^An older thread explaining it
^What to use instead (c string)
^Useful c string commands
^ Some other useful modules Arduino Reference never told you about
I found no documentation about it until I started a thread concerning a crashing problem. I think it definitely needs to be made clear that String is currently unstable. If you don’t ask, you generally don’t find out… Which is the opposite of what I need as I’m, for the most part, a visual learner. For that reason I’m sharing this information now to hopefully save some of you the same problem in the future.
I’m a little worried that perhaps this is out of the hands of the open source community as no one seems to be able to fix this nasty problem.
Currently trying to work out how to make the Accelerometer (little red thing) control the play/record functions on the music shield (the black thing).
The problem at the moment is that to access the record function you have to hold down the play/pause button, reset the Arduino and then release the play/pause button. I’m not sure if there is a way of accessing the record feature without resetting the Arduino. I’m scouring the SD library and the Music Shield Wiki trying to find the right connections for me to make.
I’m out of my depth a bit but it’s okay. I will get this model working one way or another. I could do with a pointer.
I considered using servos to trigger the buttons… moving parts, classy. It’s more important that I get to grips with the code as code doesn’t wear out and moving parts do.
Excuse the language but the fucking glass glue is shit. I hate being ripped off by buisnesses like B&Q. Especially when their profits are on the rise. Swines.
I’m going to be working with plastic jars from now on until I learn to blow glass around an arduino or find some other glue that will actually hold up.
B&Q is off the shopping list route.
I passed out earlier feeling really shitty. When my mum got home she said the house stank of glue. Turns out I’d accidentally not opened the window and hotbox glue sniffed myself into a deep sleep. It was fun, I had a dream that I was in the cast of red dwarf. It set back production by 6 hours though. I’m just about feeling better now.
I’ve found a site that is teaching me how to make a 5v solar battery charger. I’m going to install these inside the project. Hopefully I will be able to find a simpler method but until then, this is the plan.
Al showed me a site that might actually get the ISD1932 working. That’s what I’m doing now.
I ordered some other PCBs from china. They are good, simple to use but too quiet for what I need. They have a good output though so if you have an amp you want to run them through I’d choose these ones. I can’t supply that much power for very long though.
This is version one.
I have just spent far too long searching for this schematic for the ISD1932 to Arduino connections. I now feel it is my duty to duplicate it for other users to find.